Monday, October 19, 2009

Directory Assistance

I don't think it is any secret that, since becoming a mother, my memory isn't what it once was. I'm among friends here, so I can admit it. Plus, it's not like I'm telling you something you don't already know. I mention this fact because I got a text message from a 937 area code number I didn't recognize a few weeks ago. It was from a guy who identified himself as Nathan (no last name) who said something to the effect that he'd gotten a new number and was trying to get back in touch with me. I couldn't think of a single Nathan that I knew except a guy in college that I wasn't really friends with, but because of the aforementioned memory issue, I figured I had better make sure. So I asked C if I knew a Nathan; he reported that to the best of his knowledge I did not. So I didn't really think any more about it until I got a phone call while I was driving the other day. Here's how the conversation went:

Me: Hello?

Strange Man on Phone (SMOP): Hey, what's up?

Me: Uh, who is this?

SMOP: You don't know?

Me: I don't think so.

SMOP: I'll give you two guesses.

Me: [At this point, I think it may be a guy I know who lives in Indiana but rarely speak to, so I say:] Andy?

SMOP: [Ignores.] I'll give you two guesses and two hints.... I don't live in the country anymooooore. [Pause.] Aaaaaaaaaaaand I'm in the Army.

Me: I have no idea who you are.

SMOP: Come on, it's Nathan!!

Me: I think you sent me a text message a while back. I don't KNOW a Nathan. Nathan who??

SMOP: [extreme exasperation] BEASLEY! Nathan BEASLEY!!

Me: [Long pause] Dude, you have the wrong number.

SMOP: [Crickets.] Oh. [Click.]

2 comments:

  1. I just laughed really hard. that's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. if you don't update soon, you'll force me to start a protest...

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! I love knowing someone is reading this.