Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The Three Days That Almost Killed Me, or Potty-Training

Warning: This post is all about the toilet and the things that happen there.

I am 26 weeks or 6 months pregnant, and the end of May is quickly approaching. It seems like this pregnancy has gone by much faster than my first one, but that might be because I haven’t really had time to stop and think about it much. Olivia never ever stops! Her second birthday is right around the corner, and I recently decided that there is nothing I wanted to do less than potty train her while taking care of a newborn.

So, I read a copy of The 3 Day Potty Training Method, and we got started this past Saturday. Becca and Aden had wonderful success using this approach a few weeks ago, so I felt encouraged that we could make it through as well. We threw away the diapers, put on Big Girl panties and got things underway. I figured that 3 days wouldn’t be much fun, but I could do anything for 3 measley days in order to achieve a fully potty trained toddler.

100_2409

I am here to tell you that I have just survived three of the hardest days of my life. She had 18 accidents the first day. I’m not sure how that number strikes you, but when she went to bed at 8 pm that night I sat down on our sofa and didn’t think I had the strength to get up and walk to bed. In addition to cleaning up the accidents, I had to stay right by Olivia’s side every second of the day. Have you ever done everything a toddler does for an entire day? While you’re six months pregnant?

At any rate, I was exhausted but optimistic. From the very first time she had an accident, Olivia was completely distraught when her panties got wet. It took the entire day, but she finally used the toilet around dinner time and was almost as proud of herself as C and I were. I felt certain that Day Two would be a good one.

Day Two did not go as well as I had hoped. We had fewer accidents -- maybe a dozen? -- because Olivia quickly developed a good grasp on bladder control, but she did not want to use the potty and kept holding it until she got off. We made a few adjustments to our approach late that evening, and after a pep talk from Becca I felt like I could face Day Three.

Day Three was beautiful. We had only one small accident! Olivia is still reluctant to use the potty, but once she’s up there she’s fine with it. I discovered that she does better without an audience (I think we can all relate) and there is nothing in this world that brings me more joy at this point in my life than to hear her yell, "Momma, I did it!" from the bathroom. I am typing this at nap time on Day Four, which has been completely accident-free. She is even fully dressed and took a walk down the street before lunch. Hopefully you are reading this while she is back at “school” on Wednesday enjoying her new diaper-free existence.

100_2415

In case you have potty training in your future, I do recommend this method. You have to know your own child and be ready to make adjustments (after at least two full days of the book’s method) in order to accommodate the personality you are dealing with, but I have been really pleased with our results. I can’t imagine having tackled this any other way.

3 comments:

Leave a comment! I love knowing someone is reading this.